How to Overcome High Altitude Sickness during the Mount Kailash Kora
In the hearts of Tibetans, Mount Kailash kora is an act to accumulate merits and to purify all sins in their lives. They believe that the 108 rounds would offer them more enlightenment. Mount Kailash Kora begins from the charming village of Darchen and opens up endless stretches of barren land, lush green valleys, snow covered mountain peaks and pristine blue lakes, winding past mani walls and skirting the base of the Kailash massif. You should know that the Kora means you need to trek around the base of Mountain Kailash, which attracts numerous tourists and pilgrims come here.
If you plan to do the kora there, you need to pay great attention to the high altitude sickness in Tibet, which is quite common in Tibet. The symptoms of high altitude sickness include headache, dizziness, fatigue, loss of appetite, shortness of breath, disturbed sleep and so on. You may feel uncomfortable when you get to higher places, and you need to find some ways to cope with these symptoms or prevent them. The contents in this guidance will show you some methods to avoid the high altitude sickness in Tibet.
Things to Do Before Your Trip to Tibet
If you decide to pay a visit to Tibet, there are some aspects you need to prepare to avoid high altitude sickness before your Tibet tour.
1) It is sensible for you to keep healthy before your Tibet tour, both physically and psychologically. Travelers who have heart disease, high blood pressure or other organ problems or anemia should follow their doctors’ advice before going to Tibet.
2) You’d better make physical exercise plan if you plan to go hiking in Tibet, such as running, swimming and so on.
3) You need to avoid getting cold before your Tibet tour, or it will be much easier for you to get the high altitude sickness.
4) Generally, visitors who select to go to Tibet by Qinghai-Tibet train are less likely to suffer from high altitude sickness than taking a flight to reach Tibet. You can acclimatize high altitude better via gradual ascent.
5) You’d better keep relaxing in mind and try to have a sound sleep at the night before set out to Tibet.
6) You’d better take a physical examination and consult your doctor for advice to prepare AMS medication.
Spend Few Days to Acclimatize upon Arrival
When you arrive in Lhasa, you can stay there for some days to acclimatize the high altitude. You can also try the following small tips to help you to avoid high altitude sickness as much as possible.
1) You’d better not too excited when you arrive in Lhasa. During the first two days, you’d better not run, jump or do some strenuous activities. It is sensible for you to have a good rest.
2) Do not drink alcohol on the first two days after your arrival in Lhasa. You’d better prepare enough water or snacks with high caloric content, such as chocolate and etc.
3) In order to avoid getting cold, we suggest you not take shower at the first two days you reach Lhasa.
4) We recommend you not eat the food bought from the street venders to prevent you from getting gastrointestinal disorders.
Travel from Lhasa to Mount Kailash by Light Schedule
When you make your plan from Lhasa to Mount Kailash, you are suggested to follow light schedule to avoid too tired, for you need to take high altitude into consideration. We recommend you begin your trip from lower altitude places and then gradually extend your tour to higher places, and you need to remember the significance of gradual ascent. Here we would like to share you some popular Mount Kailash tours for you to refer to.
Classic 15 Days Trip from Lhasa to Mount Kailash and Lake Manasarova
At the first four days, our guide will take you to view Lhasa natural and cultural sites, such as the Potala Palace, Johkang Temple, Barkhor Street, Drepung and Sera Monastery, and etc. You will be amazed by the wonderful scenery and fantastic architectures. You can also know the Tibet culture to some extent. The four days in Lhasa will help you a lot to acclimatize the high altitude. After that, we will drive to Everest Base Camp (5200m) and then stay overnight at tent or Rongbuk monastery guest house. From the 7th day to 9th day, you can have the chance to get the spectacular view of the Saga valley. The beautiful grassland and local's villages will make you feel at ease.
When you arrive at Mt.Kailash, you can do the kora with other pilgrims. Later, you can begin a trek from Sarshung to Drirapuk Monastery along the Lachu valley and rivers. You will be able to enjoy both west and north face of Mount Kailash, and the experience will leave you deep impression in the whole life. From the 10th day, we will go back to Lhasa via Saga, Sakya and Shigatse to end your tour. Our agency will try our best to offer you the best tour experience.
In-depth 17 Days Mount Kailash and Lake Manasarovar Tour with Guge Kingdom Exploration
If you have more time to spare, you can take a deep exploration in the Ngari area. You can have a great sightseeing in Lhasa and enjoy the natural and cultural breathtaking scenery and sites in the itineraries. The mountains, lakes, grasslands and the birds singing will make you feel in a paradise. It is a completely different feeling from that in the noisy cities, which can make your soul quiet and happy.
It is really worth visiting the Himalaya Mountain Range once in a lifetime. There is no need for you to worry about too much on the high altitude sickness and this factor should not hinder your steps to go there.
What to Do to Avoid Altitude Sickness during the Kora
When you do the Mount Kailash Kora, you can also do something to help you to avoid altitude sickness.
1) Once you get high altitude sickness, you should tell your tour guide right away and do not go to higher places.
2) Our tour agency will prepare the oxygen tank in case you need. Medication and oxygen are useful to prevent altitude sickness. Mild altitude sickness symptoms can be cured with appropriate medication.
3) If oxygen does not help you to reduce the symptoms, you need to go to lower places immediately to have a good rest.
4) Drink plenty of water while you are doing the Kora than common days.
The tips shown above can also be applied to other itineraries in Tibet to avoid high altitude sickness. If you do not want to bother too much to prepare your Tibet tour, you can contact us to join in our Tibet small group tour. With the considerate preparations and experienced working staff and local guides, you will be able to have great fun in your trip and we will do you much help to avoid high altitude sickness. If you get it during the trip, our guides will help you to overcome it and continue your tour smoothly.
Will I Get Altitude Sickness if I Enter Tibet from Nepal
Will I get altitude sickness if I enter Tibet from Nepal? From around 500 m above sea level to 4500 meters, it is possible for tourists to suffer from altitude sickness at different degrees, whether you choose to go to Tibet by air or overland.
How to Overcome High Altitude Sickness When Visiting Everest Base Camp
When touring Tibet, altitude sickness can be painful especially when you travel to Everest Base Camp of such a high elevation. Check this guidance to make it clear how to overcome altitude sickness during your lifetime trip from Lhasa to Everest Base Camp.