For tourists who are fond of Tibet and lack time, classic 5-day route is the best choice to experience all the essence of Lhasa. You would visit holy Potala Palace, Barkhor Street and the most important monasteries in Lhasa like Drepung Monastery and Sera Monastery. It’s an excellent chance to explore Tibet history, culture as well as local people's life altogether in such a short time. A Tibet train journey from Xining to Lhasa plus four-day Tibet adventure would be an unforgettable trip for you.
Itinerary Day by Day
Day 1: Board the train to Lhasa from Xining
Fantastic Tibet travel will start with boarding on Xining-Lhasa trains from Xining Railway Station. Our local guide would sent train ticket and Tibet travel permit to you before train departs. Please be sure to bring all your belongings and Tibet visa to Xining Railway Station one and a half hour ahead.
After checking in, you can find your seat or sleeper easily according to train tickets. And all the train tickets would be checked again before getting out of Lhasa Railway Station. So please keep your train tickets safe!
Today is your first day on Tibet train. Take things easy and acclimate to high altitude gradually.
Stay overnight on the train.
If you bought ticket for hard or soft sleeper, the train conductor would ask you to exchange it for berth number plate and then change it back to train ticket when reaching Lhasa Railway Station.
Day 2: Arrive in Lhasa
Start your amazing trip as you land in Lhasa, Tibet's heart. You'll be warmly welcomed at the airport or train station by our local guide who'll present you with a Hada, a traditional scarf that's a sign of good luck for your journey.
On your way to the hotel in downtown Lhasa, enjoy the beautiful sights of the Yarlung Tsangpo and Lhasa Rivers, and see quaint Tibetan villages.
Once you get to your hotel, take it easy to get used to the high altitude. Rest up, move around at your own pace, and drink plenty of water to help your body adjust the high altitude.
Later in the day, your guide will give you some cool Tibetan gifts and useful tips for your trip. You'll also meet the rest of the people in your tour group.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
If you need any help or have special needs, our service center at the Gangjian Hotel is here for you.
Day 3: Exploring Lhasa - Drepung Monastery and Sera Monastery (B, D)
After having breakfast, we’ll keep exploring Lhasa with a trip to Drepung Monastery, the biggest in Tibet and once home to over 10,000 monks. Here, dive into Tibetan Buddhism at Coqen Hall, where your guide will share insights into its teachings and the lives of its most famous figures.
Then, take a stroll through Loseling College, or a similar place, within Drepung Monastery. This gives you a peek into how monks live and study, including a look at their dorm rooms.
In the afternoon, head over to Sera Monastery, established in 1419 and an important place for Buddhist study. The monk debates are the highlight of this spot, a key part of their learning process that your guide will explain.
End your day with a welcome dinner in a local Tibetan style restaurant.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 4: Exploring Lhasa - Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple and Barkhor Street (B)
After breakfast, begin your day with a trip to the magnificent Potala Palace, which offers stunning views of Lhasa. Listen as your guide recounts the histories of the Dalai Lamas and shows you around the palace's many halls and treasures. And then, you’ll participate in the folk activities of the local Tibetan people at the Longwangtan Park near the Potala Palace.
In the afternoon, head to the sacred Jokhang Temple, home to the remarkable statue of the 12-year-old Shakyamuni Buddha. Afterwards, take a walk around Barkhor Street to see the religious customs of the local Tibetans.
Finish your day with a tour to visit a bustling Tibetan tea house in Lhasa to enjoy some sweet tea and learn about Tibetan social customs.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 5: Finish Your Memorable Journey and Depart from Lhasa (B)
Today, your guide will transfer you to the airport or train station and help you get on board. Please confirm your departure flight or train details in advance with your guide.
The tour ends.
Dates & Cost
|Class/Price for P.P
1. The inclusive train ticket price above is the NET price for reference only. You may need to pay more than the above price to buy train tickets, as the Tibet train journey is so popular that actual ticket demand far exceeds the supply. For exact price, we will get you a quote based on your departure date.
2. The train ticket included in our price is for one hard sleeper berth only. If you want to upgrade to a soft-sleeper berth, you need to pay the difference of the fare.
3. Since all Chinese train tickets are released only 60 days ahead of departure, you may not get the train ticket information as soon as you book the tour. Please be patient. We will offer you the train ticket information immediately when your ticket is issued.
4. Please make sure you will arrive in Xining in advance so that you can catch the train to Tibet.
5. The dates marked on the calendar are the starting day of the tour. If you join in a tour on May 5th, you will take a train from Xining to Lhasa on that day and arrive in Lhasa on May 6th.
6. Our Tibet train group tour packages include the train journey from Xining to Lhasa. You can change the train route to Tibet from other major cities in mainland China. In this case, you need to pay the price difference of the train tickets.
7. If you decide to take other trains to Tibet, please make sure you will arrive in Lhasa on the same day as our scheduled tour.
8. If you take a train from Beijing / Shanghai / Guangzhou / Chengdu / Chongqing, you need to go 1 day before our fixed departure date.
9. If you prefer to depart from Lanzhou or Xi'an, you can take a train on the same day as our tour start.
10. Please feel free to contact us and tell us your travel plan. We will help you choose the proper train route according to your needs.
- Tibet Travel Permit and all other necessary permit to Tibet
- A hard sleeper train ticket from Xining to Lhasa (Price difference need to be paid for upgrading to a soft-sleeper train ticket.)
- Meals listed in itinerary
- Entrance fees of all tourist sites listed in the itinerary
- Local Tour Transfers according to group size
- Local Tibetan English-speaking guide
- One shared big Oxygen tank in the car
- 3 nights' hotel accommodation in Lhasa
- Chinese visa
- International flight to and out of China
- Domestic train/flight out of Tibet.(We offer domestic train/flight ticket booking service, please contact our travel experts for the details.)
- Price difference occurred if you upgrade your train ticket or choose to take other trains to Tibet
- Meals not specified the itinerary
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and drive
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks, optional tour activities, etc.
Let's Start Your Hassle-free Tibet Train Tour with Us!
From handling and delivery of your Tibet Travel Permit to sorting out the details like itineraries, hotels and booking the Tibet train tickets and flight tickets, we care deeply about your ideas and work 24/7 to ensure you a worry-free and pleasant travel.Enquire Now
You May Also Like
7 Days Lhasa and Namtso Lake Small Group Tour with Tibet Train Experience
Tibet train (from Xining) - Lhasa - Namtso Lake - Damxung - Lhasa
From USD835 p.p.HOT
8 Days Lhasa to Kathmandu Overland Small Group Tour with Tibet Train Experience
Tibet train (from Xining) - Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Kathmandu
From USD1045 p.p.HOT
9 Days Lhasa to Everest Base Camp Small Group Train Tour
Tibet train (from Xining) - Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Lhasa
From USD1025 p.p.HOT
16 Days Kailash and Manasarova Small Group Tour by Tibet Train
Tibet train (from Xining) - Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - EBC - Saga - Lake Manasarovar - 3 Days Kailash Trek - Saga - Shigatse - Lhasa
From USD2126 p.p.HOT
Contact Us for Your Dream Tour Now
Your are enquiring for