If you want to totally enjoy Tibet’s landscapes, culture and religion, you can join the 7 days central Tibet tour with a Tibet train experience from Xining to Lhasa. We will guide you to visit these tourist sites respectively: Lhasa and Shigatse, both of which attract tourists all around the world.
There, you will visit Potala Palace that is the greatest Tibetan architecture, and the Barkor street full of the bustling markets. Palcho Monastery in Gyantse is an artistic musemum involving elements of religion, art and architectual. And Tashilumpo Monastery in Shigatse is the biggest temple in this area. What’s more, the magic beauty of Holy Yamdrok and Karo glacier will make you free of any worries.
Fantastic Tibet travel will start with boarding on Xining-Lhasa trains from Xining Railway Station. Our local guide would sent train ticket and Tibet travel permit to you before train depart s. Please be sure to bring all your belongings and Tibet visa to Xining Railway Station one and a half hour ahead.
After checking in, you can find your seat or sleeper easily according to train tickets. And all the train tickets would be checked again before getting out of Lhasa Railway Station. So please keep your train tickets safe!
Today is your first day on Tibet train. Take things easy and acclimate to high altitude gradually.
Stay overnight on the train.
Note: If you bought ticket for hard or soft sleeper, the train conductor would ask you to exchange it for berth number plate and then change it back to train ticket when reaching Lhasa Railway Station.
Day2 Arrive in Lhasa
Today, you will witness the most beautiful scenery of Qinghai-Tibet Railway. The land of snows, vast desert, boundless grassland, snow-capped mountains and stunning lakes will continually appear and strongly attract your heart.
When you arrive in Lhasa, your tour guide will hold a board with your name on it at the exit to welcome you. A private car will take you to the reserved hotel.You may view the Yarlung Tsangpo River/ Bhamaputra river (the Longest and largest river in Tibet) and Lhasa river on their way to Lhasa.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day3 Lhasa Sightseeing: Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, and Barkhor Street (B&D)
Today, you’ll pay a visit to the famous Potala Palace, the world culture heritage. You can explore its audience halls, the jeweled and Golden burial chortens (stupa Tombs) of past Dalai Lamas, and tremendous number of Buddhist frescoes, thangkas, combinations of mandala, etc.
Then tourists will head to the holiest temple in Tibet, the Jokhang Temple, built during Songtsen Ganpo's reign by princess Wencheng of Tang dynasty, 647 A.D. Here you can observe sincere pilgrims making prostration in front of Jokhang Temple. While entering inside the temple, you can see the holiest statue of Buddha. Around the monastery is the famous Barkhor Street, where you can do the kora with pilgrims and locals. And then we’ll go to explore the old market and you may have chance to see the traditional jewelry trading between people from different part of Tibet.
Finally, we’ll taste Tibetan tea with locals in tea house and enjoy a welcome dinner at night.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Optional: After finishing the sightseeing, if time allows, you may go with tour guide to visit Tibetan handicraft art or Tibetan Traditional Medicine center. Besides, you can also choose to upgrade your tour to enjoy Tibetan Culture Show in the evening (fr. 60USD).
Day4 Lhasa Sightseeing: Drepung Monastery and Sera Monastery (B)
Today, you will visit two important monasteries in Lhasa, the Drepung and the Sera. Drepung Monastery, the largest monastery in Tibet, was founded by Jamyang Choeje in 1416. Situated at the foot of Gebeiwoze Mountain, it was once home to more than 10000 monks. Here you can see the biggest monastery kitchen inside and then pay a visit to the Buddhist Sculpture Carving near Drepung.
After having lunch, you’ll continue to visit the Sera Monastery, which was founded in 1419 by Tsongkapa's disciple Jamchen Choeje. The most interesting thing is to see monks debating in the courtyard at around 3-5 in the afternoon. Besides, you can also see the colorful Rock Painting of Buddha and the three sand Mandalas and then visit the Tibetan religious text printing house.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day5 Lhasa (3650m) to Shigatse (3900m) (B)
Today, we will drive from Lhasa to Shigatse via Gyantse. On the way, we’ll drive over the Gangbala Pass(4790 m) to view Yamdrok Lake and Mt. Naiqinkangsang. Besides, you can also appreciate Korola Glacier on the roadside. At Manak Dam Lake, tourists can hang pray flag at Simila Mountain Pass.
Then we’ll go to the heritage town Gyantse and explore its old street, Perklor Monastery and Kumbum Stupa. Here you can far view Gyangtse Fortress.
Later, we’ll arrive at Shigatse, the second largest city in Tibet. And tourists can visit traditional Barley Mill and view the landscape of Barley Field (in summer).
Stay Overnight in Shigatse.
Day6 Shigatse (3900m) to Lhasa (3650m) (B)
In the morning, we will visit the home of Panchan Lama - Tashilunpo Monastery. It is largest monastery of the Gelug Sect in Rear Tibet, and the main stage where generations of Panchen Lamas carried out religious and political activities. Then we’ll follow Yalong Valley back to Lhasa and drop you off at hotel in Lhasa.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day7 Depart from Lhasa (B)
The driver will take you to airport or train station.
Guaranteed departure; be the first one to reserve this trip.
1. The inclusive train ticket price above is the NET price for reference only. You may need to pay more than the above price to buy train tickets, as the Tibet train journey is so popular that actual ticket demand far exceeds the supply. For exact price, we will get you a quote based on your departure date.
2. The train ticket included in our price is for one hard sleeper berth only. If you want to upgrade to a soft-sleeper berth, you need to pay the difference of the fare.
3. Since all Chinese train tickets are released only 60 days ahead of departure, you may not get the train ticket information as soon as you book the tour. Please be patient. We will offer you the train ticket information immediately when your ticket is issued.
4. Please make sure you will arrive in Xining in advance so that you can catch the train to Tibet.
5. The dates marked on the calendar are the starting day of the tour. If you join in a tour on May 5th, you will take a train from Xining to Lhasa on that day and arrive in Lhasa on May 6th.
6. Our Tibet train group tour packages include the train journey from Xining to Lhasa. You can change the train route to Tibet from other major cities in mainland China. In this case, you need to pay the price difference of the train tickets.
7. If you decide to take other trains to Tibet, please make sure you will arrive in Lhasa on the same day as our scheduled tour.
8. If you take a train from Beijing / Shanghai / Guangzhou / Chengdu / Chongqing, you need to go 1 day before our fixed departure date.
9. If you prefer to depart from Lanzhou or Xi'an, you can take a train on the same day as our tour start.
10. Please feel free to contact us and tell us your travel plan. We will help you choose the proper train route according to your needs.
Tibet Travel Permit and all other necessary permit to Tibet
A hard sleeper train ticket from Xining to Lhasa (Price difference need to be paid for upgrading to a soft-sleeper train ticket.)
All lodging listed in the itinerary. If you travel individually, you will need to share one room with another tourist. If you prefer to stay in one room by yourself, you will have to pay the single room supplement
Meals listed in itinerary
Entrance fees of all tourist sites listed in the itinerary
Local Tour Transfers according to group size
Local Tibetan English-speaking guide
One shared big Oxygen tank in the car
International flight to and out of China
Domestic train/flight out of Tibet.(We offer domestic train/flight ticket booking service, please contact our travel experts for the details.)
Price difference occurred if you upgrade your train ticket or choose to take other trains to Tibet
Meals not specified the itinerary
Tips and gratitude to tour guide and drive
Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks, optional tour activities, etc.
Let's Start Your Hassle-free Tibet Train Tour with Us!
From handling and delivery of your Tibet Travel Permit to sorting out the details like itineraries, hotels and booking the Tibet train tickets and flight tickets, we care deeply about your ideas and work 24/7 to ensure you a worry-free and pleasant travel.