This popular Lhasa-Nepal overland group tour will start the journey at Lhasa and finally reach Kathmandu to Everest Base Camp en route, which must be one of your most precious travelling experience. The combination of natural and cultural beauty will be amazing enough. You will admire Tibetan natural beauty of the real magnificent landscapes on the roof of the world and the cultural inherit of local simple life.
Itinerary Day by Day
Day1 Board the train to Lhasa from Xining
Fantastic Tibet travel will start with boarding on Xining-Lhasa trains from Xining Railway Station. Our local guide would sent train ticket and Tibet travel permit to you before train departs. Please be sure to bring all your belongings and Tibet visa to Xining Railway Station one and a half hour ahead.
After checking in, you can find your seat or sleeper easily according to train tickets. And all the train tickets would be checked again before getting out of Lhasa Railway Station. So please keep your train tickets safe!
Today is your first day on Tibet train. Take things easy and acclimate to high altitude gradually.
Stay overnight on the train.
If you bought ticket for hard or soft sleeper, the train conductor would ask you to exchange it for berth number plate and then change it back to train ticket when reaching Lhasa Railway Station.
Day2 Arrive in Lhasa
Today, you will witness the most beautiful scenery of Qinghai-Tibet Railway. Endless land of snows, vast desert, boundless grassland, snow-capped mountains and stunning lakes will continually appear and strongly attract your heart.
When you arrive in Lhasa, your tour guide will hold a board with your name on it at the exit to welcome you. A private car will take you to the reserved hotel.You may view the Yarlung Tsangpo River/ Bhamaputra river (the Longest and largest river in Tibet) and Lhasa river on their way to Lhasa.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day3 Lhasa Sightseeing: Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, and Barkhor Street (B&D)
Today, you’ll pay a visit to the famous Potala Palace, the world culture heritage. You can explore its audience halls, the jeweled and Golden burial chortens (stupa Tombs) of past Dalai Lamas, and tremendous number of Buddhist frescoes, thangkas, combinations of mandala, etc.
Then tourists will head to the holiest temple in Tibet, the Jokhang Temple, built during Songtsen Ganpo's reign by princess Wencheng of Tang dynasty, 647 A.D. Here you can observe sincere pilgrims making prostration in front of Jokhang Temple. While entering inside the temple, you can see the holiest statue of Buddha. Around the monastery is the famous Barkhor Street, where you can do the kora with pilgrims and locals. And then we’ll go to explore the old market and you may have chance to see the traditional jewelry trading between people from different part of Tibet.
Finally, we’ll taste Tibetan tea with locals in tea house and enjoy a welcome dinner at night.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
After finishing the sightseeing, if time allows, you may go with tour guide to visit Tibetan handicraft art or Tibetan Traditional Medicine center. Besides, you can also choose to upgrade your tour to enjoy Tibetan Culture Show in the evening (fr. 60USD).
Day4 Lhasa Sightseeing: Drepung Monastery and Sera Monastery (B)
Today, you will visit two important monasteries in Lhasa, the Drepung and the Sera. Drepung Monastery, the largest monastery in Tibet, was founded by Jamyang Choeje in 1416. Situated at the foot of Gebeiwoze Mountain, it was once home to more than 10000 monks. Here you can see the biggest monastery kitchen inside and then pay a visit to the Buddhist Sculpture Carving near Drepung.
After having lunch, you’ll continue to visit the Sera Monastery, which was founded in 1419 by Tsongkapa's disciple Jamchen Choeje. The most interesting thing is to see monks debating in the courtyard at around 3-5 in the afternoon. Besides, you can also see the colorful Rock Painting of Buddha and the three sand Mandalas and then visit the Tibetan religious text printing house.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day5 Lhasa (3650m) to Shigatse (3900m) (B)
Today, we will drive from Lhasa to Shigatse via Gyantse. On the way, we’ll drive over the Gangbala Pass(4790 m) to view Yamdrok Lake and Mt. Naiqinkangsang. Besides, you can also appreciate Korola Glacier on the roadside. At Manak Dam Lake, tourists can hang pray flag at Simila Mountain Pass.
Then we’ll go to the heritage town Gyantse and explore its old street, Perklor Monastery and Kumbum Stupa. Here you can far view Gyangtse Fortress.
Later, we’ll arrive at Shigatse, the second largest city in Tibet. And tourists can visit traditional Barley Mill and view the landscape of Barley Field (in summer).
Stay Overnight in Shigatse.
Day6 Shigatse to EBC (350km, B)
In the morning, we will visit the home of Panchan Lama - Tashilunpo Monastery. It is largest monastery of the Gelug Sect in Rear Tibet, and the main stage where generations of Panchen Lamas carried out religious and political activities. After getting your Alien’s travel permit, we will leave Shigatse and then drive to Lhatse for lunch.
After that, we’ll drive over Tsola Pass(4600M), and Gyatsola Pass(5248M). At Kyawula Pass(5180m), tourists can view the panorama of Himalaya. Then we’ll drive along the new zigzag road to Everest Base Camp and get closer to Mt. Everest peak. You are lucky enough to catch the sunset of golden Everest peak if time and weather permits at the lodging area.
Stay overnight at Rongpuk Guest House.
Day7 EBC to Kyirong Border (370km)
In the morning, you can catch the stunning sunrise of Everest Peak if weather permits at the lodging area and then pay a visit to Rongbu Monastery - the unique highest monastery with nuns and monks living together. You’ll have the chance to take the closest picture of Mt. Everest at the base camp.
Then we’ll drive from EBC to Kyirong Border. On the way, you can far view Mt. Shishapangma and the Pekutso Lake. After passing the Ghungtang Lhamo(5236M), we’ll arrive in Kyirong in late afternoon.
Stay overnight in the Kyirong Guest House
Day 8 Kyirong to Nepal Border (B)
Tour Guide will assist the clients check out China and see you off at Kyirong Border. End the services at the border.
Transfer from Kyirong to Kathmandu (300USD per car, does not included in Package, need pay extra if clients request)
Dates & Cost
1. The inclusive train ticket price above is the NET price for reference only. You may need to pay more than the above price to buy train tickets, as the Tibet train journey is so popular that actual ticket demand far exceeds the supply. For exact price, we will get you a quote based on your departure date.
2. The train ticket included in our price is for one hard sleeper berth only. If you want to upgrade to a soft-sleeper berth, you need to pay the difference of the fare.
3. Since all Chinese train tickets are released only 60 days ahead of departure, you may not get the train ticket information as soon as you book the tour. Please be patient. We will offer you the train ticket information immediately when your ticket is issued.
4. Please make sure you will arrive in Xining in advance so that you can catch the train to Tibet.
5. The dates marked on the calendar are the starting day of the tour. If you join in a tour on May 5th, you will take a train from Xining to Lhasa on that day and arrive in Lhasa on May 6th.
6. Our Tibet train group tour packages include the train journey from Xining to Lhasa. You can change the train route to Tibet from other major cities in mainland China. In this case, you need to pay the price difference of the train tickets.
7. If you decide to take other trains to Tibet, please make sure you will arrive in Lhasa on the same day as our scheduled tour.
8. If you take a train from Beijing / Shanghai / Guangzhou / Chengdu / Chongqing, you need to go 1 day before our fixed departure date.
9. If you prefer to depart from Lanzhou or Xi'an, you can take a train on the same day as our tour start.
10. Please feel free to contact us and tell us your travel plan. We will help you choose the proper train route according to your needs.
- Tibet Travel Permit and all other necessary permit to Tibet
- A hard sleeper train ticket from Xining to Lhasa (Price difference need to be paid for upgrading to a soft-sleeper train ticket.)
- All lodging listed in the itinerary. If you travel individually, you will need to share one room with another tourist. If you prefer to stay in one room by yourself, you will have to pay the single room supplement
- Meals listed in itinerary
- Entrance fees of all tourist sites listed in the itinerary
- Local Tour Transfers according to group size
- Local Tibetan English-speaking guide
- One shared big Oxygen tank in the car
- Chinese visa
- International flight to and out of China
- Domestic train/flight out of Tibet.(We offer domestic train/flight ticket booking service, please contact our travel experts for the details.)
- Price difference occurred if you upgrade your train ticket or choose to take other trains to Tibet
- Meals not specified the itinerary
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and drive
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks, optional tour activities, etc.
Let's Start Your Hassle-free Tibet Train Tour with Us!
From handling and delivery of your Tibet Travel Permit to sorting out the details like itineraries, hotels and booking the Tibet train tickets and flight tickets, we care deeply about your ideas and work 24/7 to ensure you a worry-free and pleasant travel.Enquire Now
You May Also Like
5 Days Lhasa Small Group Tour by Train
Tibet train (from Xining) - Lhasa
From USD599 p.p.HOT
7 Days Lhasa to Tsedang Small Group Tour with Tibet Train Experience
Tibet train (from Xining) - Lhasa - Tsedang - Lhasa
From USD835 p.p.HOT
7 Days Central Tibet Culture Small Group Tour with Qinghai-Tibet Train Experience
Tibet train (from Xining) - Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Lhasa
From USD879 p.p.HOT
9 Days Central Tibet and Namtso Small Group Tour with Tibet Train Experience
Tibet train (from Xining) - Lhasa - Lake Namtso - Gyantse - Shigatse - Lhasa
From USD1045 p.p.HOT
Contact Us for Your Dream Tour Now
Your are enquiring for