Stay overnight in the Everest Base Camp in Tibet, the highest mountain in the world! It is one of the greatest train tours which covers the natural scenery and Lhasa city tour including many tourist sites like Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Barkhor street, Drepung and sera monastery with Gyantse Kumbum and Shigatse Tashi Lhunpho Monastery to feel the mysterious history and culture of Tibet. Saving more in a group tour but getting more from our group members who have the same interests in this mysterious land.
Itinerary Day by Day
Day 1: Board the train to Lhasa from Xining
Fantastic Tibet travel will start with boarding on Xining-Lhasa trains from Xining Railway Station. Our local guide would sent train ticket and Tibet travel permit to you before train departs. Please be sure to bring all your belongings and Tibet visa to Xining Railway Station one and a half hour ahead.
After checking in, you can find your seat or sleeper easily according to train tickets. And all the train tickets would be checked again before getting out of Lhasa Railway Station. So please keep your train tickets safe!
Today is your first day on Tibet train. Take things easy and acclimate to high altitude gradually.
Stay overnight on the train.
If you bought ticket for hard or soft sleeper, the train conductor would ask you to exchange it for berth number plate and then change it back to train ticket when reaching Lhasa Railway Station.
Day 2: Arrive in Lhasa
Start your amazing trip as you land in Lhasa, Tibet's heart. You'll be warmly welcomed at the airport or train station by our local guide who'll present you with a Hada, a traditional scarf that's a sign of good luck for your journey.
On your way to the hotel in downtown Lhasa, enjoy the beautiful sights of the Yarlung Tsangpo and Lhasa Rivers, and see quaint Tibetan villages.
Once you get to your hotel, take it easy to get used to the high altitude. Rest up, move around at your own pace, and drink plenty of water to help your body adjust the high altitude.
Later in the day, your guide will give you some cool Tibetan gifts and useful tips for your trip. You'll also meet the rest of the people in your tour group.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
If you need any help or have special needs, our service center at the Gangjian Hotel is here for you.
Day 3: Exploring Lhasa - Drepung Monastery and Sera Monastery (B, D)
Drepung Monastery, the biggest in Tibet and once home to over 10,000 monks. Here, dive into Tibetan Buddhism at Coqen Hall, where your guide will share insights into its teachings and the lives of its most famous figures.
Then, take a stroll through Loseling College, or a similar place, within Drepung Monastery. This gives you a peek into how monks live and study, including a look at their dorm rooms.
In the afternoon, head over to Sera Monastery, established in 1419 and an important place for Buddhist study. The monk debates are the highlight of this spot, a key part of their learning process that your guide will explain.
End your day with a welcome dinner in a local Tibetan style restaurant.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 4: Exploring Lhasa - Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple and Barkhor Street (B)
After breakfast, begin your day with a trip to the magnificent Potala Palace, which offers stunning views of Lhasa. Listen as your guide recounts the histories of the Dalai Lamas and shows you around the palace's many halls and treasures. And then, you’ll participate in the folk activities of the local Tibetan people at the Longwangtan Park near the Potala Palace.
In the afternoon, head to the sacred Jokhang Temple, home to the remarkable statue of the 12-year-old Shakyamuni Buddha. Afterwards, take a walk around Barkhor Street to see the religious customs of the local Tibetans.
Finish your day with a tour to visit a bustling Tibetan tea house in Lhasa to enjoy some sweet tea and learn about Tibetan social customs.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 5: Lhasa to Shigatse Via Gyantse (B, L)
After breakfast, begin your journey from Lhasa to Shigatse, the second-biggest city in Tibet.
Your first destination is Yamdrok Lake, one of Tibet's three most sacred lakes. You'll see the lake's beauty from the Gambala Pass, where it looks like a blue ribbon against the landscape, with the tall Mount Nyenchen Khangsar in the background. When you go down to the lake, there are many spots to see it up close. Near the end of the lake, you'll get to visit a local family who will host you for lunch.
After that, you'll drive past the Karola Glacier. This glacier is right next to the road and looks calm and beautiful, with big snowy mountains in the distance.
Next, on your way to Gyantse, you'll stop at the Simila Mountain Pass. There, you can hang prayer flags, which is a way to pray for peace in the world and for the people you care about.
After arriving in Gyantse, you can spend some time taking photos of the ancient city of Gyantse. From Gyantse to Shigatse, you will pass by green (in summer) and golden (in autumn) Tibetan barley fields and countless farms.
Finally, you’ll arrive in Shigatse. After checking in to the hotel, you can take a good rest and prepare for the next day’s trip to Mount Everest.
Stay overnight in Shigatse.
Day 6: Journey from Shigatse to Everest Base Camp (B)
Today’s journey will take you directly to Mount Everest.
Your first stop is Gyatsola Pass (5280m). From the Gyatsola Pass, you'll be treated to your initial glimpse of Mount Everest. Concealed behind the mountain range, Everest appears like a budding lotus flower, creating a captivating scene along the roadside.
As you enter Mount Everest National Nature Reserve, a panoramic view of the Himalayas awaits you at Gawula Pass (5198m). At this vantage point, marvel at the majestic lineup of the five highest peaks in the Himalayas, with Everest taking the forefront. This marks your second encounter with Everest.
Next, traverse the new zigzag road leading to Everest Base Camp (5200m). As you approach the base camp, the grandeur of Everest gradually unfolds, drawing nearer with each twist and turn. This marks your third view of Everest.
Upon arrival at Everest Base Camp, the monumental white pyramid peak of Mount Everest stands prominently before you. As the day transitions to dusk, witness the golden hues of the setting sun casting a warm glow on Everest's northern face—your fourth view.
As night falls, behold the sparkling Milky Way above and the snow-white peak of Mount Everest, presenting your fifth and final encounter with this iconic mountain.
Overnight accommodation will be provided at Everest Base Camp or in the local village near EBC, especially if the EBC tent hotels are closed during the winter season.
Stay overnight at Everest Base Camp or in the local village near EBC if the EBC tent hotels are closed during the winter season.
1. The visibility of Everest depends on the weather.
2. During the winter season, typically from November to March, the tent hotels at Everest Base Camp close. Therefore, if you’re traveling in winter, your accommodation options are limited to the village near EBC.
Day 7: Return from EBC to Shigatse via Dinggye and Sakya (B)
Today, you'll start your journey back to Shigatse. This trip takes you along another scenic route in the Himalayas, giving you more chances to admire the beauty of these mountains.
Before you leave Everest Base Camp, you'll have the opportunity to explore Rongbuk Monastery, the world’s highest monastery, situated at an elevation of 5154 meters.
Next, you'll head back to Shigatse, taking a different route through Dinggye, which is not the usual path people take. Along this route, you'll pause at the Dinggye Xilin Viewpoint. From here, you can not only marvel at the majestic eastern slope of the towering Mount Everest once again but also witness the world's fourth-highest peak, Mount Lhotse, soaring to an elevation of 8,516 meters. Additionally, relish the expansive and enchanting wetland landscape at the foot of Mount Everest.
Subsequently, make a brief stop in the historic town of Sakya to wander through Saga Ancient Town.
Finally, you'll reach Shigatse. Upon arrival, your guide will lead you to a local Langma Hall, serving as a venue for traditional Tibetan song and dance performances. Here, you can experience authentic Tibetan performances and celebrate the success of your Mount Everest journey with your fellow group members over dinner.
Stay overnight in Shigatse.
Day 8: From Shigatse to Nyemo and Back to Lhasa (B)
In the morning, you will have the opportunity to explore the residence of the Panchen Lama – Tashilhunpo Monastery. The grand and magnificent halls of this local monastery, which occupies the entire hillside, serve as a spiritual haven for the Tibetan people in Shigatse. Notably, Tashilhunpo Monastery houses the world's largest statue of Maitreya Buddha.
After this enriching visit, the return journey to Lhasa will take you along the Yarlung Tsangpo River, considered the mother river of the Tibetan people.
Upon arriving in Lhasa, take advantage of your leisure time to freely wander through Barkhor Street. Here, you can explore the vibrant market and shop for meaningful gifts to bring back home for your family.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 9: Finish Your Memorable Journey and Depart from Lhasa (B)
Today, your guide will transfer you to the airport or train station and help you get on board. Please confirm your departure flight or train details in advance with your guide.
The tour ends.
Dates & Cost
|Class/Price for P.P
|Economic Class (3-Star Hotels)
1. The inclusive train ticket price above is the NET price for reference only. You may need to pay more than the above price to buy train tickets, as the Tibet train journey is so popular that actual ticket demand far exceeds the supply. For exact price, we will get you a quote based on your departure date.
2. The train ticket included in our price is for one hard sleeper berth only. If you want to upgrade to a soft-sleeper berth, you need to pay the difference of the fare.
3. Since all Chinese train tickets are released only 60 days ahead of departure, you may not get the train ticket information as soon as you book the tour. Please be patient. We will offer you the train ticket information immediately when your ticket is issued.
4. Please make sure you will arrive in Xining in advance so that you can catch the train to Tibet.
5. The dates marked on the calendar are the starting day of the tour. If you join in a tour on May 5th, you will take a train from Xining to Lhasa on that day and arrive in Lhasa on May 6th.
6. Our Tibet train group tour packages include the train journey from Xining to Lhasa. You can change the train route to Tibet from other major cities in mainland China. In this case, you need to pay the price difference of the train tickets.
7. If you decide to take other trains to Tibet, please make sure you will arrive in Lhasa on the same day as our scheduled tour.
8. If you take a train from Beijing / Shanghai / Guangzhou / Chengdu / Chongqing, you need to go 1 day before our fixed departure date.
9. If you prefer to depart from Lanzhou or Xi'an, you can take a train on the same day as our tour start.
10. Please feel free to contact us and tell us your travel plan. We will help you choose the proper train route according to your needs.
- Tibet Travel Permit and all other necessary permit to Tibet
- A hard sleeper train ticket from Xining to Lhasa (Price difference need to be paid for upgrading to a soft-sleeper train ticket.)
- All lodging listed in the itinerary. If you travel individually, you will need to share one room with another tourist. If you prefer to stay in one room by yourself, you will have to pay the single room supplement
- Meals listed in itinerary
- Entrance fees of all tourist sites listed in the itinerary
- Local Tour Transfers according to group size
- Local Tibetan English-speaking guide
- One shared big Oxygen tank in the car
- Chinese visa
- International flight to and out of China
- Domestic train/flight out of Tibet.(We offer domestic train/flight ticket booking service, please contact our travel experts for the details.)
- Price difference occurred if you upgrade your train ticket or choose to take other trains to Tibet
- Meals not specified the itinerary
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and drive
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks, optional tour activities, etc.
Let's Start Your Hassle-free Tibet Train Tour with Us!
From handling and delivery of your Tibet Travel Permit to sorting out the details like itineraries, hotels and booking the Tibet train tickets and flight tickets, we care deeply about your ideas and work 24/7 to ensure you a worry-free and pleasant travel.Enquire Now
You May Also Like
5 Days Lhasa Small Group Tour by Tibet Train
Tibet train (from Xining) - Lhasa
From USD599 p.p.HOT
8 Days Lhasa to Kathmandu Overland Small Group Tour with Tibet Train Experience
Tibet train (from Xining) - Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - Everest Base Camp - Kathmandu
From USD1045 p.p.HOT
9 Days Central Tibet and Namtso Small Group Tour with Tibet Train Experience
Tibet train (from Xining) - Lhasa - Lake Namtso - Gyantse - Shigatse - Lhasa
From USD1045 p.p.HOT
16 Days Kailash and Manasarova Small Group Tour by Tibet Train
Tibet train (from Xining) - Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - EBC - Saga - Lake Manasarovar - 3 Days Kailash Trek - Saga - Shigatse - Lhasa
From USD2126 p.p.HOT
Contact Us for Your Dream Tour Now
Your are enquiring for