Excluding the trip to Everest Mount Camp at 5200 meters above sea level, this tour is a great choice for you to avoid altitude sickness so as to fully appreciate the stunning scenery along the way from Lhasa to Nepal. Starting with 2-day sightseeing in Lhasa, this tour leads you to Gyantse via the holy Yamdrok Lake and Karola Glacier. And the overnight stay in Gyantse, Tashilunpo, and Sakya County enables you to well acclimatize the high altitude and have enough time to appreciate the famous Pelkor, Tashilunpo, and Sakya Monastery there. After passing the Gyirong Port with the assistance of our Tibetan guide, you can meet our Nepali guide waiting there to transfer you to your hotel in Kathmandu.
Itinerary Day by Day
Day 1: Arrive in Lhasa
When you arrive in Lhasa, your tour guide will hold a board with your name on it at the exit to welcome you. A private car will take you to the reserved hotel. You may view the Yarlung Tsangpo River/Bhamaputra River (the longest and largest river in Tibet) and Lhasa River on the way from airport to Lhasa. Then, you can take a good rest at hotel to acclimatize to Tibetan plateau environment.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 2: Lhasa Sightseeing: Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, and Barkhor Street (B)
Today, you’ll pay a visit to the famous Potala Palace, the world culture heritage. You can explore its audience halls, the jeweled and golden burial chortens (stupa tombs) of past Dalai Lamas, and tremendous number of Buddhist frescoes, thangkas, combinations of mandala, etc.
Then tourists will head to the holiest temple in Tibet, the Jokhang Temple, built during Songtsen Ganpo's reign by Princess Wencheng of Tang dynasty, 647 A.D. Here you can observe sincere pilgrims making prostration in front of Jokhang Temple. While entering inside the temple, you can see the holiest statue of Buddha. Around the monastery is the famous Barkhor Street, where you can do the kora with pilgrims and locals.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 3: Lhasa Sightseeing: Drepung Monastery and Sera Monastery (B)
Today, you will visit two important monasteries in Lhasa, the Drepung and the Sera. Drepung Monastery, the largest monastery in Tibet, was founded by Jamyang Choeje in 1416. Situated at the foot of Gebeiwoze Mountain, it was once home to more than 10,000 monks. Here you can see the biggest monastery kitchen inside and then pay a visit to the Buddhist Sculpture Carving Workshop near Drepung.
After having lunch, you’ll continue to visit the Sera Monastery, which was founded in 1419 by Tsongkapa's disciple Jamchen Choeje. The most interesting thing is to see monks debating in the courtyard at around 3-5 pm in the afternoon. Besides, you can also see the colorful Rock Painting of Buddha and the three sand Mandalas and then visit the Tibetan religious text printing house.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Day 4: Lhasa to Gyantse via Yamdrok Lake
Today, you will set off from Lhasa to Shigatse via Gyantse. On the way, when passing over the Gampala Pass (4,790m), you can have a far view of Yamdrok Lake and the snow-capped mountains around it. You can also get spectacular views of Mt. Nyenchen Khangsar (7191m), the highest mountain around Lhasa. After visiting the turquoise Yamdrok Lake, you can admire the Korola Glacier on the roadside and hang prayer flags at Simila Mountain Pass around Manak Dam Lake before arriving at Gyantse.
Stay overnight in Gyantse.
Day 5: Gyantse to Sakya via Shigatse
Gyantse was historically known as the Tibet's third largest city after Lhasa and Shigatse. In Gyantse, you will visit the famous Pelkor Monastery and the Nepali-style Kumbum Stupa. After one and a half hour's car ride, you will arrive in Shigatse, the second largest city in Tibet. In Shigatse, you will visit the home of Panchen Lama - Tashilunpo Monastery. It is the largest monastery of the Gelug Sect in Rear Tibet and the main stage where generations of Panchen Lamas carried out religious and political activities.
Keep moving to Sakya County to visit the famous Sakya Monastery, the principal monastery of Sakya Sect. The word Skaya means the pale earth, derived from the unique grey earth of Ponpori Hill where the monastery is Located.
Stay overnight in Sakya County.
Day 6: Sakya to Gyirong
Today, you will take the car ride to Gyirong. You can appreciate the beautiful scene of Himalaya and Gangdise Mountain Range along the way.
Stay overnight in Gyirong Town.
Day 7: Gyirong to Kathmandu
Today, our Tibetan guide will drop you off at Gyirong Port, after passing China Customs and walking across the 50-meter-long border bridge, you need to check in Nepal side and get the Nepal Visa upon arrival with 30 USD and one passport-sized photo. Our Nepali guide will wait for you and drop you off at your hotel in Kathmandu.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Personal knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide;
- Personal comfortable, clean and safe vehicle with reliable Tibetan local driver; vehicle ranging from 4WD land cruiser to minibus depending on your group size;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel or budget hostel, guesthouse or tent. Please tell us your accommodation preference when submitting the enquiry; we will arrange the best-value hotels for you.
- Domestic flight/train tickets listed in the itinerary;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- First aid kit;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese visa (Note: we could help you with the Chinese visa application, like providing the invitation letter, presenting the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies, etc that you may need. )
- Domestic flight/train not listed in the itinerary. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price; please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips and gratitude to tour guide and driver;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Let's Start Your Hassle-free Tibet Train Tour with Us!
From handling and delivery of your Tibet Travel Permit to sorting out the details like itineraries, hotels and booking the Tibet train tickets and flight tickets, we care deeply about your ideas and work 24/7 to ensure you a worry-free and pleasant travel.Enquire Now
You May Also Like
8 Days Tibet-Nepal Highway in-depth Travel
Lhasa - Gyantse - Sakya - EBC - Gyirong - KathmanduHOT
10 Days Lhasa to Kathmandu Overland Tour via EBC
Lhasa - Gyantse - Shigatse - EBC - Gyirong - Kathmandu - Patan - Phaktapur - KathmanduHOT
10 Days Central Tibet In-depth Travel then Overland from Tibet to Nepal
Lhasa - Tsedang - Gyantse - Shigatse - Sakya - EBC - Gyirong - KathmanduHOT
Contact Us for Your Dream Tour Now
Your are enquiring for