Best Time to Visit Everest Base Camp
It is widely agreed that a Tibet tour without the glimpse of Mount Everest is not complete. As the nearest sightseeing site of Mount Everest for ordinary tourists, Everest Base Camp is the dream place, alluring plenty of tourists every year. It is the perfect site to appreciate the gorgeous summit view of this holy mountain, as there is only 19 kilometers’ straight-line distance between the camp and Everest peak.
Due to its extremely high altitude, the local weather and temperature of Everest Base Camp are quite different from that of other regions. Thus many will wonder: when is the best time to visit Everest Base Camp? whether it is too cold to visit Everest Base Camp in winter? what should one pay attention to? Here we offer the detailed guide information about the climate and temperature of Mt. Everest, which will be helpful for your Everest Base Camp tour arrangement.
Best Time to Visit Everest Base Camp in Tibet
The best time to visit Everest Base Camp in Tibet is from April to May and September to October. During this time, it is not so cold and the visibility is high, and tourists will have a better chance to see the clear peak view of Mount Everest. Also, stable and good weather with less fierce wind makes it safer and easier for climbing. Yet tourists should remember that, the climate of Mount Everest is changeable. Different weathers may appear alternately even within one single day. Thus it is necessary to keep an eye on the local weather changes before your trip to Everest Base Camp.
The period from September to October is ideal to trek from old Tingri to Everest Base Camp. In autumn, the region of Everest Base Camp will be less crowded with visitors compared to the situation in peak season, so you can enjoy your trip more leisurely and comfortably. Furthermore, with strong visibility and moderate temperature, Everest in autumn can present its magnificent and grandeur evidently to tourists.
As for the summer time (July to August), it is the rainy season of Mount Everest regions. Strong southeast monsoon will cause heavy rains, and atrocious weather with snow and ice often arrives unexpectedly. It will be more difficult to see the clear view of Mount Everest during this time.
Is it too cold to visit Everest Base Camp in winter?
The winter in Tibet lasts from December to February of the following year. The heavy snow of this season will make it tough to walk through many roads, especially to the remote or high-altitude regions. However, with high elevation and strong sunshine, the temperature is not that unbearable as you imagine.
According to statistics of the last three years, the average maximum temperatures of Everest Base Camp are nearly above zero, with some months even up to 10 degrees. And the minimum temperature varies between -18 to -11, much warmer and more enjoyable than quite a few places in mainland China. In General, Everest Base Camp in winter has dry air and strong wind, with strong ultraviolet rays and dramatic temperature change between night and day.
If you visit Everest Base Camp in winter, you will have more opportunities to see the spectacular view of Everest peak, since there are fewer mists due to smaller temperature drop between mountain top and the mountain foot. If you are lucky, you will overlook the beautiful vista of Mt. Everest and other peaks above 8,000m at Gawula Pass.
Besides, winter is a good season for budget tourists to travel to Tibet. Although it is the low season, there are still plenty of Tibet group tours you can choose and travel to Everest Base Camp. The road condition to Mount Everest is stable and unobstructed in most cases. So the trip will be relatively relaxing.
Tips for Visiting Everest Base Camp in Winter
1. Obtain the required travel documents in advance. For foreign tourists planning to visit Everest Base Camp, you need to apply for the Tibet Travel Permit, Aliens’ Travel Permit, and the Military Permit. To save time and energy, we can help you to apply for the permits for free as long as you book your Tibet tour from us.
2. Bring the medicine for altitude sickness or oxygen carrier for Everest region has low oxygen content. Seniors or tourists with poor health should take a medical check before going to Everest Base Camp.
3. Pay attention to keep warm since the temperature difference at Everest Base Camp is a bit high. Tourists should prepare some winter jackets, down-filled coats, gloves, hats, or sleeping bags.
4. Pack some necessary materials, like lip balm (for dry climate), sun hat (for severe weather), sun glasses (for strong sunlight or snow blindness), and other daily medicines for cold, or stomachache etc. Do not expose your skin layer in the sunshine as sun rays are tough there and may cause you sunshine burn off. Check Tibet EBC packing list.
5. Know about the road condition to Everest Base Camp in advance, in case that you may face bad weather when you start off.
6. As for the accommodation in winter, the tents at Everest Base Camp will be pulled down according to the local regulation. However, tourists can choose to stay overnight at Rongbuk Monastery which is at the foot of Mount Everest, or head to Tingri County where you can choose from various hotels, guest houses, and family inns.
How Much Does It Cost to Hike Everest Base Camp?
High-altitude trekking in Tibet is one of the most popular places for treks, and the area around Mount Everest has some of the best trekking in the region. The cost of an organized Everest hiking tour largely depends on a number of factors, the time you are intending to stay in Tibet, the length of the trek and the time of year you are traveling.
The Ultimate Guide to Climbing Everest in Winter
Climbing Mount Everest in winter is always a challenge which needs good preparations. Here we will introduce the ultimate guide to climbing Everest in winter, including best route, required documents, accommodation, packing list and tips for your reference.
The Most Complete Collection of Mount Everest Routes
How to travel from Tibet to Mount Everest? What are the classic trekking routes to Mount Everest? Which route to choose to ascend Mount Everest to the summit? Here in this passage we will listed the most complete collection of Mount Everest routes for tourists to experience a Mount Everest tour in different ways.
Can I Fly to Everest Base Camp?
Although one can enjoy a helicopter tour to Everest Base Camp in Nepal, there is no direct flight to the base camp in Tibet. So flying to Everest Base Camp can be complex than you imagine. Check this passage to know about how to fly to Everest Base Camp respectively in Nepal and Tibet.
0 Comment ON "Best Time to Visit Everest Base Camp"